Or ask me why I guess.
I’ve spent the last few weeks trying to tread water. If I’m honest, since around April, and the AtoZ challenge, with a very few exceptions, writing has been like pulling teeth.
Part of it has been my health problems, which have been ongoing for more than a year. What I didn’t know was if your B12 and foliate drop to a certain level, you slowly stop being able to do complex cognitive stuff (keep on top of your blood tests, kids!), which meant what I took for apathy was probably my B12 going through the floor. The reason I say this is because though I’m struggling with the shots themselves physically, mentally? I’m all for all the books I want to write and it really is *all the books*.
I’m not setting dates though, but I did want to confirm that:
- Once Upon A Twist is planned. We have a name for the small town, and I’m looking at how to get the covers sorted out. I’m not sure whether it’ll be a Ream based project, or I’ll do something else with it. It’ll be a romance/supernatural/fairytale retelling project.
- Garrett is also going ahead, and WILL be on Ream – it seems like the best place for it, overall.
- DungeonBashers is going quite well, so I’ll hopefully find a way to keep moving with that.
- I really want to get stuck into my fantasy books, which means Shula, Adana and the others will be making their debut soon
- I will also be working hard on my backlists – Glass Block is first up!
- I’m also looking for places to place short stories, actively.
That’s fiction, what about non-fiction?
- I’m planning a mental health retreat for creatives, online and built off all of the things that myself and one of my best friends is involved in
- All my backlist books will start to be available BEFORE Christmas and I’m planning some serious resources
- I will be pushing to get the date for Run Girl, Run
- I’m teaming up with two other friends to write some True Crime and possibly even deal with a podcast on that one.
I am *really* excited to get going on this, but I’m also taking it a bit easy – I don’t want to push myself too hard, and I still have to recover and work out why I can’t retain iron or B12 in the way expected. So, I’m not going to say ‘this date, that date’, but it should be pretty rapid and all start falling into place. I’m hoping that I can get everything sorted out and have a bit of fun to book, but it really is going to be a year of hard work to do the foundational stuff that I need to.
I hope you’ll join me for the ride, and for that reason, I’ll be talking about it on my Writing Wednesdays – short posts on my Substack, longer here. Join my Substack, won’t you?
While there is a membership option and a special for founding members, everyone receives the abbreviated posts Monday, Wednesday, Weekend, that lead back to here.